When bacteria is left on teeth and gums, tartar can form and lead to a number of problems. Your teeth, gums, tooth roots, jawbone, and other surrounding tissue can suffer from tartar build-up. When tartar build-up becomes significant, you may be diagnosed with periodontal disease (gum disease).
Prevention of Gum Disease
The only way to prevent bacteria from negatively affecting the health of your teeth and gums is to keep up with your regular cleaning routine at home, and to make sure you are getting regular dental checkups to spot minor issues before they become bigger problems. Dr. Bass and his periodontal Team help patients prevent and overcome gum disease through preventative education and advanced gum disease treatments.
Causes of gum disease include
- Poor oral hygiene
- An unhealthy diet
- Lack of professional deep cleanings
In many cases of periodontal disease, the transition from a healthy smile to one that needs extensive treatment can take years. Often, gum disease has no symptoms at all, until a toothache or other symptoms indicate the need for immediate dental attention. Our goal is to treat minor periodontal problems early. By coming in to visit Dr. Bass two times a year, we are able to evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums and recommend any beneficial treatments.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Red or swollen gums
- Receding gums
- Tooth loss
- Visible tartar build-up
- Pain or bleeding when flossing
After a thorough evaluation of your teeth and gums, Dr. Bass will be able to let you know if you are at risk for developing gum disease, or if you currently fall somewhere on the spectrum of the disease. For many of our gum disease patients, there are a variety of safe treatment options that can reduce or eliminate tartar build-up.
Gum Disease Treatments
- Scaling and Root Planing – This is a deep cleaning treatment designed to remove the build-up that cannot be moved with brushing and flossing alone. Dr. Bass performs root planing to smooth out the tooth root and help gum tissue successfully bond with the tooth.
- Gum Surgery – For some periodontal patients, surgical removal of build-up may be necessary.
- Dental Implants or Bridges – For patients who have lost teeth due to gum disease, dental implants or bridges can help you improve your bite and avoid bone loss.
Let our experienced dental Team help you protect yourself against gum disease and fight symptoms of periodontal problems. Please contact Terry Bass, D.D.S. online or call 405-622-8996 today to set up an initial consultation. If you are in Edmond, Lawton, Norman, or Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, trust your smile to Dr. Terry Bass.