Missing teeth are more than just a cosmetic problem. Not only do you lose a degree of chewing ability whenever a tooth is missing, but the health of your gums, jaw, and other teeth can be compromised if you do not replace the tooth as soon as possible.
Dental implants are designed to be a permanent solution for missing teeth. With a 95% success rate, dental implants are by far the most reliable and beneficial tooth replacement method available. Find out more by calling 405-622-8996 to speak with our Edmond implant dentist.
The Dangers of Missing Teeth
Some of the problems caused by missing teeth include:
- Resorption (bone loss), leading to changes in facial structure
- Crowding or shifting of remaining teeth
- Future tooth loss
- Bite misalignment
If you are missing many teeth, the foods you are able to comfortably eat may be limited, which can introduce malnutrition as a further health problem.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
While there are other options for replacing missing teeth – such dental bridges and dentures – none of these treatments offer the benefits of dental implants. Consider the following advantages of implant dentistry:
- Your mouth is restored to its natural state. – Since your entire tooth is replaced, including the root, dental implants replicate the function of your natural teeth, providing a stable foundation that allows you to comfortably bite and chew.
- Your replacement teeth look like your natural teeth. – The color of the dental crown used in dental implants can be tinted to match the exact color of your surrounding teeth, helping it blend naturally with the rest of your smile.
- The integrity of your facial structure is preserved. – Once dental implants are placed, bone loss and jaw deterioration will cease, since the implant root becomes fused to your bone. Because of this, you can prevent the long-term facial deformities caused by missing teeth, such as sunken cheeks and a smaller jawline.
- Your surrounding teeth do not need to be ground down. – When dental bridges are placed, tooth “caps” must be attached to your adjacent teeth, requiring them to be ground down slightly. Meanwhile, you do not need to sacrifice any of your natural tooth structure to have dental implants placed.
- Oral hygiene is more convenient. – Implant-supported dental crowns can be cleaned like your natural teeth, with regular brushing and flossing. In contrast, dental bridges require the use of floss threaders for proper cleaning, and dentures require even more time and effort to care for.
Whether you need to replace a single tooth or several teeth, dental implants can provide you with a functional and beautiful smile that you can enjoy for decades to come.
If you live in the Edmond and Oklahoma City areas and are interested in dental implants, please contact experienced implant dentist Terry Bass, DDS, online or call 405-622-8996 today to schedule a consultation.